    SubjectRe: WINE + NX (No eXecute) support for x86, 2.6.7-rc2-bk2
    On Sun, Jun 06, 2004 at 06:13:41PM +0900, Mike McCormack wrote:
    > We are using our own user space loader now, but a kernel space loader is
    > neither portable or practical.

    Huh? binfmts do work on all linux architectures unchanged. What you do
    on other operating systems is up to you. And btw, netbsd already has
    binfmt_pecoff, you could certainly make use of that, too.

    > it would be
    > nice if somebody let us know when they're going to make a change that is
    > going to break Wine, and provide a way for us to workaround that change,
    > or even better maintain real binary compatability...

    _You_ are relying on undocumented assumptions here. Windows has different
    address space layouts than ELF ABI systems and I think you're much better
    off having your own pecoff loader for that.

    > It seems Linus's kernel does that quite well, but some vendors seem not
    > to care too much about breaking Wine.

    Why should they? You need to fix up the broken assumptions in wine.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.020 / U:13.744 seconds]