    SubjectRe: keyboard problem with 2.6.6
    On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:33:41 +0300, Denis Vlasenko said:

    > Using shell scripts instead of 'standard' init etc is
    > way more configurable. As an example, my current setup
    > at home:
    > My kernel params are:

    Yes. Those are *YOUR* config setup parameters, that happen to work with *your*
    specific configuration when everything is operational. Some problems:

    1) Not all the world uses initrd....

    2) I hope your /script/mount_root will Do The Right Thing if the mount fails
    because it needs an fsck, for example. Answering those 'y' and 'n' prompts can
    be a problem if your keyboard isn't working yet..

    3) Bonus points if you can explain how to, *without* a working keyboard, modify
    that /linuxrc on your initrd to deal with the situation where your keyboard
    setup is wrong (think "booting with borrowed keyboard because your usual one
    just suffered a carbonated caffeine overdose")...

    There's a *BASIC* bootstrapping problem here - if you move "initialize and
    handle the keyboard" into userspace, you then *require* that a significantly
    larger chunk of userspace be operational in order to be able to even type at
    the machine. If you're trying to recover a *broken* userspace, it gets a lot

    And the embedded people who use "init=/onlyprogramthateverruns" are going
    to have a significant collective cow about this....

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.019 / U:2.488 seconds]