SubjectRe: keyboard problem with 2.6.6
On Fri, 04 Jun 2004 22:33:41 +0300, Denis Vlasenko said:

> Using shell scripts instead of 'standard' init etc is
> way more configurable. As an example, my current setup
> at home:
>
> My kernel params are:

Yes. Those are *YOUR* config setup parameters, that happen to work with *your*
specific configuration when everything is operational. Some problems:

1) Not all the world uses initrd....
2) I hope your /script/mount_root will Do The Right Thing if the mount fails
because it needs an fsck, for example. Answering those 'y' and 'n' prompts can
be a problem if your keyboard isn't working yet..

3) Bonus points if you can explain how to, *without* a working keyboard, modify
that /linuxrc on your initrd to deal with the situation where your keyboard
setup is wrong (think "booting with borrowed keyboard because your usual one
just suffered a carbonated caffeine overdose")...

There's a *BASIC* bootstrapping problem here - if you move "initialize and
handle the keyboard" into userspace, you then *require* that a significantly
larger chunk of userspace be operational in order to be able to even type at
the machine. If you're trying to recover a *broken* userspace, it gets a lot
harder.

And the embedded people who use "init=/onlyprogramthateverruns" are going
to have a significant collective cow about this....

©2003-2011 Jasper Spaans