    SubjectRe: Elastic Quota File System (EQFS)
    On 25-Jun-04, Timothy Miller wrote:
    > I have a much simpler idea that both implements the EQFS and doesn't
    > touch the kernel.
    > Each user is given a quota which applies to their home directory. (This
    > quota is not elastic and if everyone met their quota, everything would
    > fit.) In addition, there is another directory or file system (could be
    > on the same disk or even the same partition) to which their quota
    > doesn't apply AT ALL. Let's call this "scratch" space.
    > Periodically, a daemon checks the disk usage, and whenever the disk
    > usage approaches, say, 90%, its starts deleting the oldest files from
    > the scratch space until its gets below the watermark.
    > So anything in "/scratch/$USER/" is free to be deleted by the daemon.
    > BTW, they did something similar to this when I was in college (I
    > graduated in 1996), although they deleted from /scratch manually.

    An easy setup for this is to put /home on a different filesystem than
    /tmp, use quota on /home but leave quota off for /tmp. Then most Unix
    systems can easily be configured to clean up /tmp periodically, and also
    the user is easily aware of the nature of files in /tmp (i.e. they are
    "elastic" in some sense).

    My university was (and still is) using this setup on many servers.

    Olaf Dabrunz (od/odabrunz), SUSE Linux AG, Nürnberg

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.020 / U:158.616 seconds]