    SubjectRe: inconsistency between SIOCGIFCONF and SIOCGIFNAME
    On Mon, 28 Jun 2004 21:06:25 -0700
    Ulrich Drepper <> wrote:

    > POSIX does not specify the if_indextoname and if_nameindex functions,
    > they are only vaguely specified in an RFC. So there is some room for
    > interpretation but still I think it is an issue.
    > If SIOCGIFCONF to query the system's interfaces only active interfaces
    > are returned. But SIOCGIFNAME (and SIOCGIFINDEX) allow querying
    > interfaces which are down and not fully initialized.
    > RFC 3493 says if_nameindex should return *all* interfaces. This means
    > that neither if_indextoname or if_nametoindex (defined in the same rfc)
    > should define more interfaces.

    The bridge utilities depends on being able to do if_indextoname and
    if_nametoindex for interfaces that aren't active to IP. Other non-IP
    usage probably does as well.

    Stephen Hemminger
    Open Source Development Lab

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.021 / U:75.888 seconds]