    SubjectRe: [ISOFS] Troubles with multi session DVDs.
    > I'm having a strange (at least for me) problem burning multisession
    > DVD+R media: the dvd becomes unreadable after the 3rd session is burned.

    I have all reasons to believe that it rather has everything to do with
    position of last session, than with the exact number of sessions. I also
    have all reasons to believe that it's rather ide-cd.c bug than isofs. In
    other words this problem was already reported to me, but I didn't have
    time to bring it up with linux-kernel people yet.

    > mount refuses to do its work, and kernel says:
    > Unable to identify CD-ROM format.
    > Note that there isn't any read error, so the kernel is simply unable to
    > locate the primary volume descriptor.

    The keywords for this problem are:

    > growisofs -M /dev/hdc -J -r <files> (-Z for the first session)
    ^^^ ide-cd.c is involved [it's no problem with sr.c
    if unit is routed through ide-scsi.c]...

    > This is the output of dvd+rw-mediainfo:
    > Multi-session Info: #3@1339392
    ^^^^^^^ ... and last recorded session
    starts beyond LBA #1152000, which corresponds ~2.2GB.

    What's so special about 1152000 (besides that it reminds highest posible
    bitrate for serial port:-) It's 256 times 60 times 75. What's so special
    about these numbers? 256 is amount of interger values which can be
    represented with 8-bit number, 60 is amount of seconds in minute and 75
    is amount of frames in one second of CD-DA. Yes, it's about conversion
    from MSF to LBA suffering from overflow around 2.2GB. In the nutshell
    the problem is that drivers/ide/ide-cd.c always pull TOC in MSF format
    and then attempts to convert it to LBA. If last session is recorded
    beyond 1152000, isofs driver will be led by ide-cd driver to belief that
    volume descriptor resides at 1152000, which in turn results in "unable
    to identify CD-ROM format" message logged upon mount attempt.

    As fast-acting remedy I can suggest to route your unit through ide-scsi.
    The way it was under 2.4. Even though it's declared unsupported it
    actually still works in 2.6 (I for one still use it). And once ide-cd.c
    is fixed you'll be able to revert back to officially recommended path. A.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.022 / U:7.380 seconds]