SubjectRe: SATA_SIL works with 2.6.7-bk8 seagate drive, but oops

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004, Albert Cahalan wrote:

> You never did come up with an alternative to HZ-guessing
> that would work on those old 1200-HZ Alpha boxes, the ARM
> boxes that ran at 64 HZ and so on.

The fix for those should be that they should all export the same HZ to
user space, regardless of any internal tick. So that's a kernel bug, in
that those architectures expose the _internal_ HZ rather than some
user-visible well-defined one.

> I suppose you can blame the arch maintainers, but user-space has to deal
> with it.

If the user space tools didn't try to deal with it, the architectures
would probably get fixed in a jiffy. All the support for kernel-to-user HZ
conversion is there.

So I still maintain that procps should _not_ try to guess HZ. As it is,
it's a bug, and it helps make excuses for _other_ bugs.

Linus

  Last update: 2009-11-18 23:46    [W:0.049 / U:0.128 seconds]