    SubjectRe: Elastic Quota File System (EQFS)
    Fao, Sean wrote:

    > Amit Gud wrote:
    >> It cannot be denied that there _are_ applications for such a system
    >> that we already discussed and theres a class of users who will find
    >> the system useful.
    > I personally see no use whatsoever. Why not just allocate 100% of the
    > file system to everybody and ignore quota's, entirely? Each user will
    > use whatever he/she requires and when space starts to run out, users
    > will manually clean up what they don't need.
    We should get our basics right first. We _do_ need quotas!! Without any
    quota system how are we going to avoid a malicious user from taking
    away all the space to keep other people starving? In EQFS also this can
    happen, but we are giving *controlled flexibility* to the user. He is
    having some stretching power but not beyond a certain limit. And do you
    think users are sincere enough to clean up there files when they are done?

    > I am totally against the automatic deletion of files and believe that
    > all users will _eventually_ walk in on a Monday morning to find out
    > that the OS took it upon itself to delete a file that was flagged as
    > elastic, that shouldn't have been.

    User is the king, he decides what files should be elastic and what not.
    This can always be controlled.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.040 / U:30.280 seconds]