    SubjectRe: [patch] teach netconsole how to do syslog
    On Sat, Jun 26, 2004 at 12:26:46PM +1000, Keith Owens wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:11:01 -0500,
    > Matt Mackall <mpm@selenic.com> wrote:
    > >Yep, we get one UDP packet per printk currently, which works for most
    > >things, but not everything. This could be changed to a buffered
    > >approach, but that breaks one of my favorite debugging techniques -
    > >adding an alphabet soup of single-character printks to trace tricky
    > >call paths.
    > >
    > >So we could add a __printk that doesn't flush to outputs for stuff
    > >like the above, or just live with it.
    >
    > Other way round. Keep printk as is and use a buffered approach for
    > printk over netconsole. netconsole gets complete lines which is what
    > you want 99.9% of the time. Add __printk or printk_unbuffered for the
    > .1% of debugging output that really wants unbuffered output.

    I think it's a bit too radical. The only user who cares is netconsole,
    and then only when fed to syslogd. Using a client like netcat, the
    current behavior is what you want. So while I think this might have
    been the way to do it in the first place, changing the behavior of
    every printk in the system in a way that might prevent information
    from making it to the console in a crash seems like much more trouble
    than removing the flush for the few cases that want to do multiple
    printks per line and are making a minor mess with syslog. The
    non-flushing __printk approach let's us choose when and where we want
    to remove flushes.

    But my current position is "just live with it".