SubjectRe: Elastic Quota File System (EQFS)

I have a much simpler idea that both implements the EQFS and doesn't
touch the kernel.

Each user is given a quota which applies to their home directory. (This
quota is not elastic and if everyone met their quota, everything would
fit.) In addition, there is another directory or file system (could be
on the same disk or even the same partition) to which their quota
doesn't apply AT ALL. Let's call this "scratch" space.

Periodically, a daemon checks the disk usage, and whenever the disk
usage approaches, say, 90%, its starts deleting the oldest files from
the scratch space until its gets below the watermark.

So anything in "/scratch/$USER/" is free to be deleted by the daemon.

BTW, they did something similar to this when I was in college (I
graduated in 1996), although they deleted from /scratch manually.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.149 / U:0.512 seconds]