SubjectRe: 32-bit dma allocations on 64-bit platforms

correct. I checked with my contacts here on the PCI express requirements.
Apparently the spec says "A PCI Express Endpoint operating as the
Requester of a Memory Transaction is required to be capable of
generating addresses greater than 4GB", but my contact claims this is a
"soft" requirement.

but even if all PCI-X and PCI-E devices properly addressed the full
64-bits, legacy 32-bit PCI devices can be plugged into the motherboards as
well. my Intel em64t boards have mostly PCI-X, but 1 PCI slot and my amd
x86_64 have all PCI slots (aside from the main PCI-E slot).

also, at least one motherboard manufacturer claims PCI-E + AGP, but the AGP
is really just an AGP form-factor slot on the PCI bus.

Thanks,
Terence

On Thu, Jun 24, 2004 at 06:48:07AM -0700, jbarnes@engr.sgi.com wrote:
> On Thursday, June 24, 2004 2:18 am, Arjan van de Ven wrote:
> > What is the problem again, can't the driver us the dynamic pci mapping
> > API which does allow more memory to be mapped even on crippled
> machines
> > without iommu ?
> > And isn't this a problem that will vanish since PCI Express and PCI X
> > both *require* support for 64 bit addressing, so all higher speed
> cards
> > are going to be ok in principle ?
>
> Well, PCI-X may require it, but there certainly are PCI-X devices that
> don't
> do 64 bit addressing, or if they do, it's a crippled implementation
> (e.g. top
> 32 bits have to be constant).
>
> Jesse

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:04    [W:0.046 / U:0.320 seconds]