SubjectRe: DMA API issues
On Tue, Jun 22, 2004 at 12:40:45PM +0200, Takashi Iwai wrote:
> At Mon, 21 Jun 2004 20:26:39 -0700 (PDT),
> Linus Torvalds wrote:
> >
> > On Mon, 21 Jun 2004, Linus Torvalds wrote:
> > >
> > > The argument at some point was that some architectures may not even _have_
> > > a "struct page" for DMA memory, since it's not "normal" memory (ie "slow
> > > memory" on m68k). However, I thought we all agreed that such a "struct
> > > page" could be furnished if that architecture wants so support mmap'ing.
> >
> > .. which is not to say that we shouldn't have a "pci_mmap_pages()" thing
> > _too_. Pretty clearly the easiest interface often is to just map the pages
> > at mmap() time, and then we should just have a helper function to do that.
> >
> > I thought we did one already, but hey, maybe not.
>
> I don't think we have such.
>
> Russell has once proposed a similar one (but not pci-specific), and I
> believe it makes sense for many drivers. We can hide the
> architecture-specific cache handling inside the helper function, too.

Ok. So does anyone have any objections if I push the ARM DMA mmap
interface upstream, which consists of:

/**
* dma_mmap_coherent - map a coherent DMA allocation into user space
* @dev: valid struct device pointer, or NULL for ISA and EISA-like devices
* @vma: vm_area_struct describing requested user mapping
* @cpu_addr: kernel CPU-view address returned from dma_alloc_coherent
* @handle: device-view address returned from dma_alloc_coherent
* @size: size of memory originally requested in dma_alloc_coherent
*
* Map a coherent DMA buffer previously allocated by dma_alloc_coherent
* into user space. The coherent DMA buffer must not be freed by the
* driver until the user space mapping has been released.
*/
int dma_mmap_coherent(struct device *dev, struct vm_area_struct *vma,
void *cpu_addr, dma_addr_t handle, size_t size);

and a similar one for the ARM-specific "write combining" case (for
framebuffers utilising the DMA API)?

This was discussed on linux-arch, and the discussion died while trying
to settle on a suitable interface through apparant lack of interest.

--
Russell King
maintainer of: 2.6 PCMCIA - http://pcmcia.arm.linux.org.uk/