SubjectRe: 2.6.x partition breakage and dual booting
Andries Brouwer <Andries.Brouwer@cwi.nl> writes:

> We have "sectors" and it gives a count of sectors, like 0x7280b80
> (yecch - why in hex??).
> But "legacy_sectors" is not a number of sectors, but a number of
> sectors per track, just like "default_sectors_per_track".
>
> We have "default_heads" and it is a number of heads, like 0xff
> (yecch - why in hex??).
> But "legacy_heads" is not a number of heads, it is the largest
> head number, that is, one less than the number of heads.
>
> Please, now that this is still unused, fix your names and/or
> your code. Names could be legacy_max_head (etc.) if you want
> to keep the values, or otherwise add 1 to the values.

Well, the EDD module belongs to Matt Domsch. I only contributed the
"legacy_*" code and names.

If it is OK with Matt, I agree we should rename legacy_heads to
legacy_max_head and legacy_sectors to legacy_sectors_per_track. I
doubt anybody other than myself is using these yet anyway.

> Also - people will try to match the 0x7280b80 for int13_dev83 with
> the 120064896 sectors that dmesg or hdparm -g reports for /dev/hdf.
> Life would be easier with values given in decimal, as they are
> everywhere else.

I used hex for legacy_* because that is what all the other fields
already used. It was not my decision, and I have no opinion either
way. Convince Matt.

- Pat

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.091 / U:0.220 seconds]