    SubjectRe: Strange DMA-errors and system hang with SMART (was: ...and system hang with Promise 20268)
    Am So, den 23.05.2004 schrieb Bruce Allen um 14:46:
    > Hi Sebastian,
    >
    > Sorry it's taken me so long to reply. My usual googling of smartmontools
    > didn't turn this up because you changed the subject line and started a new
    > thread.

    Sorry for my late reply, too. I had been out of country and away from
    Internet.

    > I hadn't realized until now that the drive is an IBM GXP60.
    >
    > smartctl is *supposed* to print a warning message for these drives, to
    > tell users to look at http://www.geocities.com/dtla_update/index.html#rel
    > for pointers to updated firmware for this drive! What firmware version do
    > you have?

    Yes, the warning is there. However, there never had been a problem with
    it for years until I upgraded the kernel. I probably should have paid
    more attention to that warning... The problem is that most of the links
    are broken on the page that you refer to.

    I am pretty sure now that the DMA-error is related to smart as the
    server run without problems for a couple of weeks until someone started
    smartd again by mistake. Three days later the box froze again just after
    1 am.

    > Meanwhile, what firmware version do you have? I suggest you upgrade it --
    > this may fix the problem. The final firmware with the SMART fixes seems
    > to be A46A.

    ER4OA44A

    Thanks for the infos,

    Sebastian

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:6.436 / U:0.164 seconds]