SubjectRe: Stop the Linux kernel madness
Rik van Riel <riel@redhat.com> wrote:

> Maintaining a patch for one version of the distribution, in
> order to get a feature to customers sooner, is perfectly
> doable and may make economic sense.
>
> Maintaining an out-of-tree patch forever because you didn't
> get around to merging it into the upstream kernel doesn't.

Problem is, what happens if vendor X ships a feature and that feature is
deemed unacceptable for the kernel.org kernel?

There are examples of this and as I've earlier indicated, I'd be OK with
merging some fairly stinky things after 2.7 forks off, as a service to the
major kernel.org customers and as a general lets-keep-things-in-sync
exercise.

But we then need to do it all again in 2.8.x. It's hard to see how to fix
this apart from either merging everything into the main tree or dropping
things from vendor trees. Or waiting for someone to come up with an
acceptable form of whatever it is the patch does.

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.132 / U:0.056 seconds]