    SubjectDMA API issues
    Hi.

    This may have come up previously but I havent seen it, so...

    My colleagues and I are encountering a number of difficulties with the
    DMA API, to which a generic solution is required (or risk multiple
    architectures, busses, and devices going their own way...)

    Here is an example system that illustrates these problems:

    I have a System On Chip device which, among other functions, contains an
    OHCI controller and 32K of SRAM.

    heres the catch:- The OHCI controller has a different address space than
    the host bus, and worse, can *only* DMA data from its internal SRAM.

    The architecture is not broken, merely unusual.

    This causes the following problems:

    1) The DMA API provides no methods to set up a mapping between the host
    memory map and the devices view of the space
    example:
    the OHCI controller above would see its 32K of SRAM as
    mapped from 0x10000 - 0x1ffff and not 0xXXX10000 - 0xXXX1ffff
    which is the address the CPU sees.
    2) The DMA API assumes the device can access SDRAM
    example:
    the OHCI controller base is mapped at 0x10000000 on my platform.
    this is NOT is SDRAM, its in IO space.

    If these points are possible to be addressed, it would allow at LEAST three chips *in use* in linux devices able to use mainline OHCI code directly - TC6393XB (in toshiba PDAs), SAMCOP (Ipaqs), and mediaQ (dell axims).

    I am told HPPA has some similar problems also.

    PS. please make use of CC: when replying

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.020 / U:0.036 seconds]