    SubjectRe: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?

    On Friday 18 June 2004 15:51, William Lee Irwin III wrote:
    > On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 11:35:43AM -0400, Raul Miller wrote:
    > > That clause only deals with some anthology works, not all. It's an
    > > exception to <<a "work based on the Program" means either the Program or
    > > any derivative work under copyright law: that is to say, a work
    > > containing the Program or a portion of it, either verbatim or with
    > > modifications...>> It's pretty clear that the linux kernel is not a mere
    > > aggregation of works on some volume of storage.
    > Any chance you guys could come to some kind of consensus on this so I
    > know what has to be done for the debian package?
    > Thanks.

    If it's undistributable, it obviously doesn't belong in main. So please
    remove the undistributable stuff. Second, if it's non-free, it doesn't
    belong in the kernel, which is in main. So remove anything that is
    non-free from the kernel-source. It's really not rocket science, and I
    don't know why people insist upon talking about collective versus
    derivative works, because none of this stuff belongs in main anyway.

    If you need help in determining whether something is free or not, please send
    a message to debian-legal (preferably in a new thread) asking that question.
    Version: GnuPG v1.2.4 (GNU/Linux)

    -----END PGP SIGNATURE-----

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.020 / U:9.968 seconds]