    SubjectRe: Stop the Linux kernel madness
    On Fri, 2004-06-18 at 02:09, 4Front Technologies wrote:
    > Hi Folks,
    > I am writing this message to bring a huge problem to light. SuSE has been systematically
    > forking the linux kernel and shipping all kinds of modifications and still call their
    > kernels 2.6.5 (for example).

    internal kernel apis change and are fair game. As a RH kernel maintainer
    I can guarantee you that you will suffer too from internal kernel
    changes in RH/Fedora kernels. Or from changes within the 2.6.x series.
    Linux needs such changes to allow faster and cleaner development.
    The cost is on the external modules; it has a good side too, it provides
    an incentive for external modules to merge into the kernel so that they
    get fixed automatic. Having such incentives is in my opinion a good

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.024 / U:39.752 seconds]