    SubjectRe: Stop the Linux kernel madness
    On Fri, 2004-06-18 08:13:15 -0700, William Lee Irwin III <wli@holomorphy.com>
    wrote in message <20040618151315.GC1863@holomorphy.com>:
    > On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 10:43:19AM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > > Yes, this is a hint at certain embedded developers. You
    > > know who you are and chances are you also know what you would
    > > like to develop if you no longer had to spend your time porting
    > > the same old patches from one version of the product to the next.
    >
    > The shame of things is that the economic/effort problem appears to
    > often be "solved" by never migrating to new kernel versions, or
    > otherwise by amortizing the work involved with infrequent migrations.

    Unfortunately, you're *very* right on this. Eg. read the linux-mips list
    (at linux-mips.org). You'll see that this list is often hit by people
    having problems. Normally, they hack on kernels like 2.4.16 or the like.
    These are totally unrelated projects, people and companies. I can't find
    words for that. They're missing a year of development and even feel sane
    with it. That's what vendors gave them...

    There's a lot of Linux beyond LKML, with a common problem: outdated
    source trees, with a shitload of patches. Linus could need another
    hacker or two working full-time on reviewing / importing those patches!
    For what I guess, those should better be native Indian speakers...

    MfG, JBG

    --
    Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw@lug-owl.de . +49-172-7608481
    "Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.020 / U:2.108 seconds]