    SubjectRe: Stop the Linux kernel madness
    On Fri, 2004-06-18 08:13:15 -0700, William Lee Irwin III <>
    wrote in message <>:
    > On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 10:43:19AM -0400, Rik van Riel wrote:
    > > Yes, this is a hint at certain embedded developers. You
    > > know who you are and chances are you also know what you would
    > > like to develop if you no longer had to spend your time porting
    > > the same old patches from one version of the product to the next.
    > The shame of things is that the economic/effort problem appears to
    > often be "solved" by never migrating to new kernel versions, or
    > otherwise by amortizing the work involved with infrequent migrations.

    Unfortunately, you're *very* right on this. Eg. read the linux-mips list
    (at You'll see that this list is often hit by people
    having problems. Normally, they hack on kernels like 2.4.16 or the like.
    These are totally unrelated projects, people and companies. I can't find
    words for that. They're missing a year of development and even feel sane
    with it. That's what vendors gave them...

    There's a lot of Linux beyond LKML, with a common problem: outdated
    source trees, with a shitload of patches. Linus could need another
    hacker or two working full-time on reviewing / importing those patches!
    For what I guess, those should better be native Indian speakers...

    MfG, JBG

    Jan-Benedict Glaw . +49-172-7608481
    "Eine Freie Meinung in einem Freien Kopf | Gegen Zensur | Gegen Krieg
    fuer einen Freien Staat voll Freier Bürger" | im Internet! | im Irak!
      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.049 / U:4.472 seconds]