    SubjectRe: How long is it acceptable to leave *undistributable* files in the kernel package?
    On Fri, Jun 18, 2004 at 10:55:47AM -0300, Humberto Massa wrote:
    > What rights do the GPL'd software recipient have? The GPL grants
    > some rights not granted by copyrights law. I made an extensive
    > document and posted it to d-l, but no-one seemed to listen or to
    > understand. All ok. IRT making derived works, the recipient has the
    > right of making *some* derived works (respecting 2a and 2c) and to
    > redistribute those derived works under the terms of the GPL itself.
    > It seems not to permit anthology (collective) works, until you see
    > the "mere aggregation" clause (section 2 third paragraph) /which/
    > appears to cover anthology works.

    That clause only deals with some anthology works, not all. It's an
    exception to <<a "work based on the Program" means either the Program or
    any derivative work under copyright law: that is to say, a work containing
    the Program or a portion of it, either verbatim or with modifications...>>

    It's pretty clear that the linux kernel is not a mere aggregation of
    works on some volume of storage.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.023 / U:35.212 seconds]