    SubjectRe: Stop the Linux kernel madness
    On Fri, 18 Jun 2004, Jens Axboe wrote:
    > On Thu, Jun 17 2004, Andrew Morton wrote:

    > > Hopefully we'll be seeing more patches from them soon.

    > The last thing anyone wants is the situation we had/have with
    > (basically all) 2.4 vendor kernels.

    Absolutely agreed. Nobody likes maintaining hundreds of
    patches for multiple versions of a distribution, especially
    not the companies that pay the salary of the programmers
    tied up doing that kind of work ;)

    There are sound economic reasons why Linux companies should
    merge their stuff back into the upstream kernel; or better
    yet, develop the functionality in the upstream kernel before
    merging it into the distribution tree (eg. NPTL, selinux
    enhancements, O(1) scheduler).

    Maintaining a patch for one version of the distribution, in
    order to get a feature to customers sooner, is perfectly
    doable and may make economic sense.

    Maintaining an out-of-tree patch forever because you didn't
    get around to merging it into the upstream kernel doesn't.
    It is nothing but a waste of effort, doing the same work
    over and over again for every version of the product, instead
    of doing the work once and then focussing your engineers on
    implementing new functionality.

    Yes, this is a hint at certain embedded developers. You
    know who you are and chances are you also know what you would
    like to develop if you no longer had to spend your time porting
    the same old patches from one version of the product to the next.