    SubjectRe: Stop the Linux kernel madness
    viro@parcelfarce.linux.theplanet.co.uk wrote:
    > On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 05:09:17PM -0700, 4Front Technologies wrote:
    >
    >>Hi Folks,
    >>
    >>I am writing this message to bring a huge problem to light. SuSE has been
    >>systematically
    >>forking the linux kernel and shipping all kinds of modifications and still
    >>call their
    >>kernels 2.6.5 (for example).
    >>
    >>Either they ship the stock Linux kernel sources or they stop calling their
    >>distributions
    >>as Linux-2.6.x based.
    >>
    >>Kernel headers are being changed willy-nilly and SuSE are completely
    >>running rough-shod
    >>over the linux kernel with the result ONLY software from SuSE works.
    >

    > "Software" == "3rd-party kernel modules" in this case, right?
    >
    > Remember what had been told to you about in-kernel interfaces? That's
    > right, that they can be changed at zero notice. Now, if SuSE told you
    > otherwise, you might have a cause to complain. Had they?
    >
    > If they'd promised in-kernel interface stability and lied - sure, go ahead
    > and nail them to the wall. If not - STFU and eat what you are bloody given.
    >
    > Al, not particulary fond of SuSE, but even less so - of misdirecting wankers
    > like that...

    That's right Al, 4Front, ATI, Nvidia are all evil!. OK so now get on with life.

    It's time everybody started to pay some attention to in-kernel interfaces because
    Linux has graduated out of your personal sandbox to where other people want to use
    Linux and they aren't kernel developers.

    Sure we can fix the problem with SuSE - we've been doing this for the past 7 years.
    And we know a thing or two about Linux kernels but wouldn't it be better for the
    Linux community in general to have such source issue stabilized?

    best regards

    Dev Mazumdar