    SubjectRe: mode data=journal in ext3. Is it safe to use?
    Daniel Egger wrote:

    > On 17.06.2004, at 19:20, Hans Reiser wrote:
    >> Actually, most compact flash devices DO do wear leveling, from what I
    >> have heard.
    > Care to mention sources? I'd be surprised if they did simply because
    > it'll cost money that could be earned otherwise. Also I think you
    > confuse bad block remapping with wear leveling and even the former
    > I haven't experienced so far.
    > CF disks were designed for simply the reason of having an empty disk,
    > writing data onto it up to a certain level, reading it a few times
    > and emptying the disk again. So except for the organizational blocks
    > and "the end" of a disk which tends to get rarely hit there're a
    > well distributed write utilization.
    > Servus,
    > Daniel

    For example:

    Just bop over to the Sandisk website, go the the OEM section, and download
    the manual/datasheet for CF devices. The wearlevel command itself isn't
    supported (I'm ignorant of flash on IDE, I assume it is intended to mean
    full scrub-style wear levelling) but they note they roll simplified wear
    into the erased page pool.

    Doing that is an easy way to get part of the way there without needing a
    lot of
    infrastructure. And for the fill-read-empty usage model it's perfectly

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.028 / U:5.088 seconds]