SubjectRe: Oopses with both recent 2.4.x kernels and 2.6.x kernels
FYI.

I have a box here that was originally running 2.4.x. I updated to
2.6.x a few months ago, and all was well. Then I started to get
curious oops, none of them the same.

I started to suspect NFS, as I use an old 486 to hold the web pages
to serve to the box via NFS... the oops occurred every Saturday
morning @ 4:02. Lead to me think it was some sort of cron.weekly
issue with the disc activity and file access or the like, or
whatever... I didn't know - I was on a fishing exercise (and a lot of
searching on the LKML)

But, after talking to a member of the HantsLUG, and showing logs and
stuff, he brought up at the swap size. This box was once 64Mb, but
is now 128Mb - with 128Mb swap. I created an additional swap file
(256Mb), and (touch wood), no oops since, all heathly :) I never
looked at this before, as swap was never used _during_ normal running
of the box, but as he said maybe the cron.weekly ran a lot of stuff
that did use it up...

Nick

--
"When you're chewing on life's gristle,