> I gather that supermount-ng is now quite dated and no longer maintained. Is
> submount ( not the current favourite to
> provide such functionality?
> Looking at the two, submount definitely seems more ready for inclusion
> based on its non-invasive approach.

Because supermount-ng is what our users want it to be:
It's stable, mature and fully functional without any userspace changes (apart
from the fstab entry) and thousands of people use it daily without any
problems. Whether you (or the mainline kernel maintainers) like the patch or
not is a different matter. I've been porting it to each main release version.