    SubjectRe: 2.6.6-rc3-mm2 (4KSTACK)
    On Sunday 09 of May 2004 19:00, Bill Davidsen wrote:
    > Bartlomiej Zolnierkiewicz wrote:

    > >>Add my voice to those who don't think 4k stacks are a good idea as a
    > >>default, they break some things and seem to leave other paths (as others
    > >>have noted) on the edge. I'm not sure what you have in mind as a "better
    > >>kernel" but I'd rather have a worse kernel and not have to check 4k
    > >>stack as a possible problem before looking at other things if I get bad
    > >>behaviour.
    > >>
    > >>Reliability first, performance later. We've lived with the config for a
    > >>while, pain there is better than pain at runtime.
    > >
    > > Opposite opinion here.
    > >
    > > If you want 100% reliability you shouldn't use -mm in the first place.
    > >
    > > Making 4kb stacks default in -mm is very good idea so it will get
    > > necessary testing and fixing before being integrated into mainline.
    > >
    > > Please also note that users of binary only modules always have choice:
    > > - new kernels without binary only modules
    > > - old kernels with binary only modules
    > >
    > > It is really that simple.
    > No it's not that simple, this has nothing to do with binary modules, and
    > everything to do with not making 4k stack the only available
    > configuration in 2.6. Options are fine, but in a stable kernel series I
    > don't think think that the default should change part way into the
    > series, and certainly the availability of the original functionality
    > shouldn't go away, which is what I read AKPMs original post to state as
    > the goal.

    What functionality are you talking about?
    We don't care about out of tree kernel code (be it GPL or Proprietary).

    > Making changes to the kernel which will break existing applications
    > seems to be the opposite of "stable." People who want a new kernel for
    > fixes don't usually want to have to upgrade and/or rewrite their
    > applications. The "we change the system interface everything we fix a

    You don't understand what the patch is really about.

    This is kernel stack not the user-space one so
    this change can't brake any application.

    > bug" approach comes from a well-known software company, but shouldn't be
    > the way *good* software is done.

    It doesn't change any kernel interface visible to user-space
    and stack hungry kernel code needs fixing anyway.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.030 / U:9.368 seconds]