SubjectRe: Distributions vs kernel development
From
Hi,

On: Fri, 07 May 2004 12:03:00 -0400,
Jeff Garzik <jgarzik@pobox.com> wrote:
> Stephen Hemminger wrote:
> > After having being burned twice: first by Mandrake and supermount, and second
> > by SuSe and reiserfs attributes; are any of the distributions committed to
> > making sure that their distribution will run the standard kernel? (ie. 2.6.X from
> > kernel.org). When running a non-vendor kernel, I need to reasonably expect that the system
> > will boot and all the filesystems and standard devices are available. I don't
> > expect every startup script to run clean, or every device that has a driver
> > only in the vendor kernel to work.
>
> Fedora Core runs stock 2.4 and 2.6 kernels just fine... :)
>
> Jeff

Since other use this chance to propose already well known
distributions I just want to add that ROCK Linux is also designed to
run vanilla kernels - and in fact we only patch vitally important
changes (such as compile fixes / header fixes) into the -rock kernel.

http://www.rocklinux.org

Sincerely yours,
René Rebe
- ROCK Linux stable release maintainer