    SubjectRe: Distributions vs kernel development
    Stephen Hemminger <> writes:

    > After having being burned twice: first by Mandrake and supermount, and
    > second by SuSe and reiserfs attributes; are any of the distributions
    > committed to making sure that their distribution will run the standard
    > kernel? (ie. 2.6.X from When running a non-vendor kernel,
    > I need to reasonably expect that the system will boot and all the
    > filesystems and standard devices are available. I don't expect every
    > startup script to run clean, or every device that has a driver only in
    > the vendor kernel to work.

    My last slackware install used an unmodified kernel, I don't know if
    the latest versions so the same. I run gentoo with vanilla 2.6
    kernels. I recently installed a vanilla 2.6 kernel on a redhat9
    machine, without any problems (which quite surprised me).

    Måns Rullgård

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.021 / U:2.248 seconds]