SubjectRe: [ckrm-tech] Re: [RFC] Revised CKRM release
On Wed, May 05, 2004 at 03:48:38PM -0300, Marcelo Tosatti wrote:

> > >It sounds to me the classification engine can be moved to userspace?
> > >
> > >Such "classification" sounds a better suited to be done there.
> >
> > I suppose it could. However, one of our design objectives was to
> > support multi-threaded server apps where each thread (task) changes
> > its class fairly rapidly (say every time it starts doing work on
> > behalf of a more/less important transaction). Doing a transition to
> > userspace and back may be too costly for such a scenario.
>
> But who sets the priority of the tasks is userspace anyway, isnt? AFAICS its

I didn't understand what do you mean by this (in this context)..
can you elaborate ?

> userspace who knows which transaction is more/less important.

That is true, but the classfication event has to be notified to the
user space from kernel, wight ? Shailabh is refering that overhead
here.

> > There might also be some concerns with keeping the reclassify
> > operation atomic wrt deletion of the target class...but we haven't
> > thought this through for userspace classification.
>
> How often is a reclassify operation done?

events like fork, exec, setuid/setgid etc., also when the application
tag is explicitly changed(which could happen as many times as the
application wants).