SubjectRe: [ckrm-tech] Re: [RFC] Revised CKRM release
On Tue, May 04, 2004 at 08:18:26PM -0400, Shailabh Nagar wrote:

> >It sounds to me the classification engine can be moved to userspace?
> >
> >Such "classification" sounds a better suited to be done there.
>
> I suppose it could. However, one of our design objectives was to
> support multi-threaded server apps where each thread (task) changes
> its class fairly rapidly (say every time it starts doing work on
> behalf of a more/less important transaction). Doing a transition to
> userspace and back may be too costly for such a scenario.

But who sets the priority of the tasks is userspace anyway, isnt? AFAICS its
userspace who knows which transaction is more/less important.

> There might also be some concerns with keeping the reclassify
> operation atomic wrt deletion of the target class...but we haven't
> thought this through for userspace classification.

How often is a reclassify operation done?

> >Note: I haven't read the code yet.
> >

> Why just read when you can test as well :-) We just released a testing
> tarball at http://ckrm.sf.net.. any inputs, bugs will be most welcome !
>
> Looking forward to more inputs,

Yeah, I'm just nitpicking from the outside and haven't contributed
to anything, so...

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.055 / U:0.364 seconds]