    SubjectRe: xfs partition refuses to mount
    Ricky Beam wrote:
    > On Sat, 29 May 2004, Steve Lord wrote:
    >
    >>You have turned on XFS debug, which is really a developer option. It
    >>looks like you have a corrupt journal though. A non debug kernel may
    >>still refuse to mount it and you would need to run xfs_repair from
    >>a rescue disk in that case.
    >

    > Unless xfs_repair has been changed recently, all it will be able to do it
    > delete (zero) the journal. If it detects metadata in the journal, it'll
    > stop and tell you mount the filesystem to replay the journal. Personally,
    > I think that's sorta stupid... if I could mount the fs, I wouldn't be
    > running xfs_repair. (I've had the journal become spooge on a sparc64
    > box a few times.)

    Yes, xfs_repair will not replay a log, and if it finds dirty metadata in
    the log it wants you to replay it via mount. Having xfs_repair able to
    replay the log would be handy, but if mount cannot replay it, then
    repair will not either. xfs_repair -L bypasses this check and resets
    the log. Following that it does a complete consistancy check and
    fixup of metadata - it does a good job in most cases. Note that it
    deletes lost+found, and if you had files in there, they would be
    disconnected and get put back in lost+found again.

    The whole reason for -L was customers who automatically ran xfs_repair
    after a crash, and hence threw away anything which was in the log. So
    it is more of a stop and think what you are doing option.

    > There should be a way to instruct the kernel's rootfs mount to not look
    > at the log. I don't know if one can pass any generic mount options at
    > boot. ("ro"/"rw" and rootfs type, but I don't know of any others.) This
    > would be handy for more than just xfs, btw.

    You can mount norecovery,ro - but no guarantees that it will stay up
    long. See Documentation/filesystems/xfs.txt for a list of xfs mount
    options.

    Steve

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.024 / U:91.032 seconds]