SubjectRe: ftp.kernel.org
On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 11:01:19AM -0400, Theodore Ts'o wrote:
> On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 02:21:41AM -0400, Chris Shoemaker wrote:
> > > Agreed - fmirror is so much more reliable than rsync (imho) that it makes
> > > rsync into a worst-case option for retrieving files.
> >
> > bug reports to rsync@lists.samba.org are appreciated...
> >

> The main problem with rsync that I can see is that it is fairly heavy
> weight on the server, so many servers (including mirrors.kernel.org)
> have a maximum number of connections set to something pathetically
> small, like say 5 connections.

Do you mean w.r.t. memory usage or storage i/o? I know that creating
the file list can take up a lot of memory for large lists.

Five connections seems pretty low. I've never personally hit any
connection limit, and I make moderate use of rsync. On the server side
I know of several rsync servers offering >1 million files. Not sure how
hard they work, but they're highly available.

> I remember Tridge trying to get someone to implement checksum caching
> for rsync servers some 4+ years ago, which would surely help. Did
> that ever get done? If so, convincing the server admins that it's OK
> to up the maximum number of rsync connections would be the next step.
>
> - Ted

I'm sure there are some things that can be done to make rsync
lighter-weight. Checksums aren't cached, but the problem is, the
checksum seed is varible, so that might not be the best optimization.

Overall, I'd have to disagree with the parent-post saying that rsync is
worst-case option. It's not perfect, but I much prefer rsync over
fmirror. I think it's more convenient and, although I have no rigorous
measurements, but it seems faster, to boot.

-chris

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.065 / U:0.196 seconds]