    SubjectRe: CONFIG_IRQBALANCE for AMD64?
    On Fri, May 28, 2004 at 11:33:32AM -0700, Martin J. Bligh wrote:
    > Here's my start at a list ... I'm sure it's woefully incomplete.
    > 1. Utilize all CPUs roughly evenly for IRQ processing load (anything that's
    > not measured by the scheduler at least, because it's unfair to other
    > processes).

    yep; irqbalance approximates irq processing load by irq count, which seems
    to be ok-ish so far.

    > Also, we may well have more than 1 CPU's worth of traffic to
    > process in a large network server.

    One NIC? I've yet to see that ;)

    > 2. Provide some sort of cache-affinity for network interrupt processing,
    > which also helps us not get into out-of-order packet situations.

    yep; irqbalance does that

    > 3. Utilize idle CPUs where possible to shoulder the load.

    this is in direct conflict with 2; esp since cpus are idle very short times
    all the time in busy scenarios (and non-busy scenarios are boring wrt irq
    loadf ;)

    > 4. Provide such a solution for all architectures.

    irqbalanced in principle arch independent since the /proc interface is quite
      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.022 / U:10.568 seconds]