    SubjectRE: why swap at all?
    On Wed, 26 May 2004, Denis Vlasenko wrote:

    > No. Unfortunately, userspace programs grow in size as fast
    > as your RAM. Because typically developers do not think
    > about size of their program until it starts to outgrow
    > their RAM.

    It's worse than that. Way worse.

    The speed of hard disks doesn't grow anywhere near as
    fast as the size of memory and applications. This means
    that over the last years, swapping in any particular
    application has gotten SLOWER than it used to be ...

    This means that even though the VM is way smarter than
    it used to be, the visibility of any wrong decision has
    increased.

    I wonder if there's a way we could change the VM so it
    could recover faster from any mistakes it made, instead
    of trying to prevent it from making any mistakes (those
    will happen anyway, the VM can't predict the future).