    Subjectvfat case corruption with utf8

    Hi,

    When I mount a vfat filesystem and create files, the case of the files
    changes after creation. I am using Fedora FC2 with kernel 2.6.5. I
    have created a script that demonstrates the problem (see below).

    I originally filed a bug with fedora about it, and it turns out that
    the problem occurs on systems that default to utf8. There is a FIXME
    comment in fs/fat/inode.c:1025. Mounting with iocharset=iso8859-1
    works around the problem, but given that more systems seem to be going
    to utf8, this is something that more people will be banging up
    against.

    Cheers,
    Len.

    -------8<--------
    #!/bin/sh

    # Make a test vfat filesystem
    dd if=/dev/zero of=vfatfile bs=1M count=100
    mkfs.vfat -F 32 -n "test" vfatfile
    mkdir vfatmount
    mount -o loop vfatfile vfatmount

    # Make a directory called F00 and a test file
    mkdir vfatmount/F00
    touch vfatmount/F00/test

    # Check test file is accessible (it should be)
    if [ -f vfatmount/F00/test ]; then
    echo "Test file is visible"
    else
    echo "ERROR: test file is not visible"
    fi

    # This action changes the naming of the directory!!
    ls -l vfatmount/

    # Check test file again (this time it fails)
    if [ -f vfatmount/F00/test ]; then
    echo "Test file is visible"
    else
    echo "ERROR: test file is not visible"
    fi

    # Cleanup
    umount vfatfile
    rm -r vfatfile vfatmount

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.021 / U:1.460 seconds]