    SubjectRe: why swap at all?
    On Wed, 26 May 2004 10:23:32 +0100, John Bradford wrote:
    > A run-away process on a server with too much swap can cause it to grind to
    > almost a complete halt, and become almost compltely unresponsive to remote
    > connections.
    >
    > If the total amount of storage is just enough for the tasks the server is
    > expected to deal with, then a run-away process will likely be terminated
    > quickly stopping it from causing the machine to grind to a halt.

    I'm not sure your optimism about the correct (run-away) process being
    terminated is justified. Granted, there are definitely scenarios
    where swapless operation is preferable, but in most circumstances --
    especially workstations as the original poster described -- I'd rather
    minimize the risk of losing data.

    Roger

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.023 / U:0.204 seconds]