    SubjectRe: why swap at all?
    On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 09:19:40PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > Matthias Schniedermeyer wrote:
    > >On Wed, May 26, 2004 at 08:33:28PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
    > OK, this is obviously bad. Do you get this behaviour with 2.6.5
    > or 2.6.6? If so, can you strace the program while it is writing
    > an ISO? (just send 20 lines or so). Or tell me what program you
    > use to create them and how to create one?

    To use other words, this is the typical case where a "hint" would be

    program to kernel: "i read ONCE though this file caching not useful".

    The last thing i knew in this area is that there exist a thing to tell
    the kernel to drop all cache after the file is closed. (IIRC!)

    But this doesn't help in this case as the image-file is up to 4,4GB in
    whole which means that it ALONE can fill up the whole cache. Taking
    aside the files the image was created from, which can (with a size of up
    to 2GB (size-limit of iso9660-filesystem/linux-kernel)) also fill a lot
    of cache until they are closed.

    (The/My) typical case is this.
    1 create image-file
    2 remove source-files
    3 burn image
    4 remove image-file

    Step 1 and 3 trash the cache without ANY positive effect.

    Bis denn

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.044 / U:33.820 seconds]