    Subject[RFC] 0/5 rcu lock update

    I tried to tackle the rcu scalability problem that Jack Steiner
    I found three changes that reduce the cache line trashing with
    - Use generation numbers instead of the rcu_cpu_mask bitmap for
    polling in rcu_pending. (patch 1)
    - Use a sequence lock to check if a new batch must be started. Right
    now each cpu acquires the global spinlock and usually notices that
    the batch is already running. (patch 2)
    - Hide implementation details - only fields that are accessed by
    rcu_pending need to be visible in <linux/rcupdate.h> (patch 3)
    - Preparation for hierarchical bitmap : hide locking (patch 4)
    - Add a hierarchical bitmap (patch 5)

    The first three patches are IMHO steps in the right direction,
    suitable for inclusion. The last two patches are proof of concept

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.020 / U:0.116 seconds]