    SubjectRe: 4g/4g for 2.6.6
    Linus Torvalds wrote:
    > Oh, well. I don't expect _everybody_ to switch to x86-64 immediately, but
    > I hope we can hold out long enough without 4g that it does work out this
    > time.

    I think the switchover will happen fairly rapidly, since it is
    positioned "the upgrade you get next time you buy a new computer",
    similar to the current PATA->SATA switchover.

    Since these CPUs run in 32-bit mode just fine, I bet you wind up with
    people running Intel or AMD 64-bit CPUs long they abandon their 32-bit
    OS. I recall people often purchasing gigabit ethernet cards long before
    they had a gigabit switch, simply because it was the volume technology
    that was being at the time. I think the same thing is going to happen
    here, with AMD64 and EM64T.

    AMD got a lot of things right with this one...

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.019 / U:68.984 seconds]