SubjectRe: [RFC] Filesystem with multiple mount-points
Date
On Sunday 02 May 2004 16:24, Guennadi Liakhovetski wrote:
> Hi
>
> Disclaimer: I am not a filesystem expert, so, what's below might be
> absolute nonsense.
>
> There are systems, where it is desirable to make some partitions,
> possibly, including root, read-only, and some other, like, e.g., /var,
> /home, /lib/modules read-writable. Those writable filesystems may be quite
> small, so, putting them on separate partitions creates too much overhead
> for filesystem metadata, journals... Making those directories soft-links
> into one writable partition would work, but is not too nice.

I use softlinks. It works 100%. I can run unlimited number
of NFS mounted diskless workstations. All of them have
ro root fs, can mount /usr ro or rw as needed.
/var, /tmp, /etc are always writable.

I use mount --bind for only one mountpoint,
everuthing else is handled by softlinks.

Why do you think it is not too nice?
--
vda