    SubjectRe: 1352 NUL bytes at the end of a page?

    On May 19, 2004, at 7:36 AM, Chris Mason wrote:

    > On Wed, 2004-05-19 at 09:28, Steven Cole wrote:
    >>> Steven, with all else being equal, you said you found a 2.6.3 SuSE
    >>> kernel to significantly outperform 2.6.6, is that right? If so can
    >>> you try the same test with plain 2.6.3 please? We'll go from there.
    >> Actually, it was a Mandrake kernel, 2.6.3-4mdk IIRC. Whatever is
    >> the default with MDK 10. One salient difference with the vendor
    >> kernel is that everything which can be a module is, and I wasn't
    >> using any modules with my kernels. BTW, I was careful to have the
    >> same hdparm settings during the performance testing.
    >> The performance difference was very repeatable. Using the script
    >> provided by Andy Isaacson, the 2.6.3-4mdk did the clone in about
    >> 11 minutes total, while the various current kernels took about
    >> 15 minutes total. The user times were the same, and the difference
    >> was in system time. Those numbers are from memory, the actual
    >> results should be in the archive.
    > Was this regression only reiserv3 or both v3 and ext3?
    > -chris

    I went back through the archive to make sure, and since I didn't
    specify where I did the timed tests, those timing tests would have
    been done on my /home partition, which is reiserfs v3.

    Since I was using different partitions for ext3 and reiserfs on
    /dev/hda, a direct comparison between ext3 and reiserfs wouldn't
    be completely fair, but a "watching the paint dry" observation
    seemed to indicate that reiserfs was significantly faster for this
    load. I did press my backup disk into service for this testing,
    to eliminate the possibility that this was due to a finicky disk,
    and I have a 3.9 G partition which I've formatted first reiserfs,
    then ext3, so I could do some fair tests between reiserfs and
    ext3 on that disk. But I think the results are already known;
    reiserfs opens a can of whoopass for this kind of load.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.027 / U:0.952 seconds]