SubjectRe: [patch] kill off PC9800
On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 02:21:23PM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> James Bottomley <James.Bottomley@SteelEye.com> wrote:
> >
> > Randy.Dunlap" <rddunlap@osdl.org> wrote:
> > >
> > > PC9800 sub-arch is incomplete, hackish (at least in IDE), maintainers
> > > don't reply to emails and haven't touched it in awhile.
> >
> > And the hardware is obsolete, isn't it? Does anyone know when they were
> > last manufactured, and how popular they are?
> >
> > Hey, just being obsolete is no grounds for eliminating a
> > subarchitecture...
>
> Well it's a question of whether we're likely to see increasing demand for
> it in the future. If so then it would be prudent to put some effort into
> fixing it up rather than removing it.
>
> Seems that's not the case. I don't see a huge rush on this but if after
> this discussion nobody steps up to take care of the code over the next few
> weeks, it's best to remove it.

Perhaps a nicer way to do this is to add a compile warning or error:

#warning "arch/i386/mach-pc9800 unmaintained since xx/xx/xx, nominated
for removal xx/xx/xx if unclaimed"

..where the second date is, say, 3+ months after the warning goes in.
Then people can nominate stuff for removal with one liners and users
will get ample opportunity to complain.

--
Matt Mackall : http://www.selenic.com : Linux development and consulting