    SubjectRe: 1352 NUL bytes at the end of a page? (was Re: Assertion `s && s->tree' failed: The saga continues.)
    On Sun, May 16, 2004 at 04:11:16PM -0600, Steven Cole wrote:
    > On Sunday 16 May 2004 03:29 pm, Andrew Morton wrote:
    > > Steven Cole <elenstev@mesatop.com> wrote:
    > > >
    > > > Anyway, although the regression for my particular machine for this
    > > > particular load may be interesting, the good news is that I've seen
    > > > none of the failures which started this whole thread, which are relatively
    > > > easily reproduceable with PREEMPT set.
    > >
    > > So... would it be correct to say that with CONFIG_PREEMPT, ppp or its
    > > underlying driver stack
    > >
    > > a) screws up the connection and hangs and
    > >
    > > b) scribbles on pagecache?
    > >
    > > Because if so, the same will probably happen on SMP.
    > >
    > Perhaps someone has the hardware to test this.
    >
    > To summarize my experience with the past 24 hours of testing:
    > Without PREEMPT , everything is rock solid.

    so we've two separate problems: the first is the ppp instability with
    preempt, the second is a regresion in the vm heuristics between 2.6.3
    and 2.6.5.

    > and I (cringes at the thought) may repeat some bk pulls with
    > PREEMPT set.

    I've heard other reports of preempt being unstable with some sound
    stuff, just in case are you using sound drivers at all during that
    workload?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.029 / U:29.884 seconds]