SubjectRe: 2.6.6-mm2
On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 04:25:40AM -0700, Andrew Morton wrote:
> Wim explained that any application changes now won't be widely deployed for
> another year. During that period the ability to run existing Oracle setups
> requires that hugepage allocation be available to unprivileged
> applications.
> It means that if people install a machine on their database
> server, the database *just won't work*. This is not good for those users,
> for the kernel developers or for Linux's reputation in general.

That sounds silly when talking about Oracle.

Oracle says:
Which Kernels are supported?

Oracle does not support modified or recompiled kernels. Recompiled
kernels are not supported with or without source modifications.

I doubt there are many "existing Oracle setups" that will risk to lose
all Oracle support by installing a different kernel.

And AFAIK Oracle currently supports not a single distribution that ships
with kernel 2.6.

"Only a promise," Lao Er said.
Pearl S. Buck - Dragon Seed