    SubjectRe: PCI excessive retry error
    On Mon, 10 May 2004, John Bradford wrote:

    > > I mentioned a "broken bus" in the beginning. Some new
    > > PCI boards are not 5-volt tolerant. If you plug them into
    > > the PCI bus of some motherboards (Intel 865PE chipset),
    > > The Intel D865PERL, for one, the PCI/Bus will get blown.
    > > Same with the MS-6585 (648 MAX board). I blew up several
    > > boards by plugging 3.5 volt PCI cards into the 5 volt
    > > bus. According to the rules, it's supposed to work unless
    > > the PCI slots have "Cadium Yellow" or "Brilliant Blue"
    > > keying plugs (I kid you not, it's in the PCI specs).
    >
    > So, did you actually plug the cards in to the wrong coloured slots, or
    > do you have a 3.5 volt-incompatible motherboard with a colour of slots
    > which suggests compatibility?
    >
    > John.

    I have two broken motherboards that have off-white color slots
    that imply that they should certainly not blow up if anything
    that fits is plugged into them!

    So I plugged in two high-speed data-link boards and nothing worked.
    Upon removal of the boards, my SCSI controller was no longer seen
    on the PCI/Bus. I called the data-link board vendor (actually a
    division of this company) and they said; "Idiot! They are 3.5 volt
    boards!". I said; "Yeh? The PCI Spec says they should be compatible!"
    They said; "There is no PCI spec for such compatibility......", etc.
    etc. When I quoted the page on the book, they said; "That's only a
    BOOK, not a specification...." It's just like the l-k list.

    So, some new PCI/Bus boards are not 5-volt tolerant. Some new
    board slots run at 3.5 volts so older PCI/Bus boards won't
    work (some do, some don't). It's a mess.

    I also asked our wizards in the other division what kind of
    platform the boards were supposed to be working in. They said
    it was secret, but not a PC.

    Cheers,
    Dick Johnson
    Penguin : Linux version 2.4.26 on an i686 machine (5557.45 BogoMips).

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:03    [W:0.023 / U:3.816 seconds]