SubjectRe: strange delays on console logouts (tty != 1)
On Fri, Apr 30, 2004 at 09:53:51PM +0200, Jorge Bernal wrote:

> On tty's != 1 it takes a long time (~20-30 secs) from logout to next
> login but on tty1 it takes a normal time.

Oddly I've seen the same thing off-and-on for quite some time now
(early 2.6.x or beofe, I can't be sure). For me it affects all tty's.

> If I launch getty on tty9 and logout (in tty9) getty ends
> inmediately and I can start it again and get another login.

For me I see this on all tty's most (but not all) of the time.

> I'm not sure if it actually has something to do with the kernel
> (maybe with /sbin/init). dmesg doesn't say anything about that.

When (ie. during the 'dead time') I see this the tty isn't used by
anyone and even more rarely the tty will get stuck so that when init
gets around starting a getty, it exits immediately and then init
rate-limits by noy respwaning a console for 5 minutes.

I'm not sure who is to blame here, it looks like some tty's get into a
state that either init or the getty doesn't like and don't want to
come unstuck easily (stty sane > /dev/tty<foo> sometimes helps).

I need to get an init working as pid != 1 with debugging so I can
figure out what init thinks here. I've just been so short of time.

--cw

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.070 / U:0.216 seconds]