    Subjectsetgid - its current use
    Hello Everyone,

    A long time back there was discussion over setuid/setgid and how its been
    replaced by Capabilities (This is what i understood from the
    archives...please correct me if im wrong).

    I'd like to know the possibility of using setgid for users to switch their
    groups and work as a member of a particular group. Essentially, if i want
    one user, who belongs to groups X, Y and Z to create a file as a member of
    group Y while he's logged on as a member of group X, would it be possible
    through setgid() ?

    would i need to change all programs that need this capability ?

    or is there a way in the kernel do achieve this ?

    Can i use capabilities in some way to achieve this ?

    Any pointers would be really helpful. i don't mind reading up on heavy
    documentation, if i only know where to look.

    Also, im not subscribed to this list, so I'd appreciate it if replies
    could be CC'd to gami@d10systems.com. If there's any other information
    that I should provide to clarify my question, please let me know.

    Thanks !

    regards,
    Gami
    --