SubjectRe: Rewrite Kernel
Lars Marowsky-Bree wrote:

>Guys, gals,
>
>you are all missing the point.
>
>It is obvious that what we really need is a hand-optimized in-kernel
>core LISP machine written in >i386 assembly, then we need to port the
>rest of the kernel to run as LISP bytecode on top of that in ring1 (in
>particular the security policies).
>
>Of course, important privileged user-space such as glibc should be
>ported to this highly efficient non-recursive LISP machine too for
>efficiency and run on ring 2 for speed and security.

What you are talking about is a LISP machine micro-kernel in Ring0 which
sort of defeats the whole point of Linux being monolithic kernel. Also
couldn't we just run HURD, or for that matter EMACS ;-), as a kernel. I,
personally have come around to Linus point of view on the whole
micro-kernel thing so I don't see much of a advantage to this, as there
are other micro kernel projects ( HURD, Darwin/*BSD?).

-Aaron

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.123 / U:0.476 seconds]