    SubjectRe: kernel stack challenge

    --- Timothy Miller <> wrote:
    > Sergiy Lozovsky wrote:
    > >
    > > I put LISP interpreter inside the Kernel -
    > I'm dying to know why you need a LISP interpreter
    > inside the kernel.

    It is explained at my project home page -

    Basically there are two reasons.

    1. Give system administrator possibility to change
    security policy easy enough without C programminig
    inside the kernel (we should not expect system
    administartor to be a kernel guru). Language of higher
    lavel make code more compact (C - is too low level,
    that's why people use PERL for example or LISP). Lisp
    was chosen because of very compact VM - around 100K.

    2. Protect system from bugs in security policy created
    by system administrator (user). LISP interpreter is a
    LISP Virtual Machine (as Java VM). So all bugs are
    incapsulated and don't affect kernel. Even severe bugs
    in this LISP kernel module can cause termination of
    user space application only (except of stack overflow
    - which I can address). LISP error message will be
    printed in the kernel log.

    Do you Yahoo!?

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.027 / U:1.688 seconds]