    SubjectRe: [ckrm-tech] Re: [RFC] Revised CKRM release
    Rik van Riel wrote:
    > On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
    >>I'd hate to see this in the kernel unless there's a very strong need
    >>for it and no way to solve it at a nicer layer of abstraction, e.g.
    >>userland virtual machines ala uml/umlinux.
    > User Mode Linux could definitely be an option for implementing
    > resource management, provided that the overhead can be kept
    > low enough.
    > For these purposes, "low enough" could be as much as 30%
    > overhead, since that would still allow people to grow the
    > utilisation of their server from a typical 10-20% to as
    > much as 40-50%.

    has some numbers comparing native Linux to UML (and against the Xen
    virtual machine monitor) but its on a 2.4 kernel.

    Jeff, do you have any numbers for UML overhead in 2.6 ?

    -- Shailabh

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.019 / U:92.776 seconds]