SubjectRe: [ckrm-tech] Re: [RFC] Revised CKRM release
Rik van Riel wrote:
> On Fri, 30 Apr 2004, Christoph Hellwig wrote:
>

>>I'd hate to see this in the kernel unless there's a very strong need
>>for it and no way to solve it at a nicer layer of abstraction, e.g.
>>userland virtual machines ala uml/umlinux.
>

> User Mode Linux could definitely be an option for implementing
> resource management, provided that the overhead can be kept
> low enough.
>
> For these purposes, "low enough" could be as much as 30%
> overhead, since that would still allow people to grow the
> utilisation of their server from a typical 10-20% to as
> much as 40-50%.

http://www.cl.cam.ac.uk/Research/SRG/netos/xen/performance.html

has some numbers comparing native Linux to UML (and against the Xen
virtual machine monitor) but its on a 2.4 kernel.

Jeff, do you have any numbers for UML overhead in 2.6 ?

-- Shailabh

  Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.082 / U:0.924 seconds]