    SubjectRe: ~500 megs cached yet 2.6.5 goes into swap hell
    Marc Singer wrote:
    > On Thu, Apr 29, 2004 at 02:26:17PM +1000, Nick Piggin wrote:
    >
    >>Yes it includes something which should help that. Along with
    >>the "split active lists" that I mentioned might help your
    >>problem when WLI first came up with the change to the
    >>swappiness calculation for your problem.
    >>
    >>It would be great if you had time to give my patch a run.
    >>It hasn't been widely stress tested yet though, so no
    >>production systems, of course!
    >

    > As I said, I'm game to have a go. The trouble was that it doesn't
    > apply. My development kernel has an RMK patch applied that seems to
    > conflict with the MM patch on which you depend.

    You would probably be better off trying a simpler change
    first actually:

    in mm/vmscan.c, shrink_list(), change:

    if (res == WRITEPAGE_ACTIVATE) {
    ClearPageReclaim(page);
    goto activate_locked;
    }

    if (res == WRITEPAGE_ACTIVATE) {
    ClearPageReclaim(page);
    goto keep_locked;
    }

    I think it is not the correct solution, but should narrow
    down your problem. Let us know how it goes.

      Last update: 2005-03-22 14:02    [W:0.022 / U:2.240 seconds]